I suggest you ...

Allow the CDN to serve files optimized with mod_pagespeed (Google Pagespeed)

Here's the deal. mod_pagespeed only works when the assets are being loaded from the local server. Google's kicking things up a notch and is strongly encouraging sites to use this caching module in the future. In fact, several of the Pagespeed Insights factors can be directly addressed with Pagespeed filters...something that can take a lot of experimentation based on site, server, caching settings, etc with other caching methods (I'm looking at you W3 Total Cache. You're an absolute hauss, but it's tough getting you production ready).

I'm suggesting that you add an option in the "Edge Settings" section of the "Pull Zone Settings" page. We're looking at two different inputs:

Enable mod_pagespeed with CoreFilters (true/false) - Simply an option to enable or disable mod_pagespeed for the CDN-hosted resources
Add custom filters (string) - The ability to add custom filters as outlined in https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/config_filters

Since a CDN obviously has several distinct advantages in terms of latency improvements/redundancy, I feel like one that serves Pagespeed optimized files would be a huge advantage for those who are wanting to use this module on their website.

W3 Total Cache is great and all that, but I think MaxCDN would benefit greatly from appeasing those of us who use Google to guide our web best practices. Google seems pretty serious about this, and I think we should too.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jon RiversJon Rivers shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Justin DorfmanAdminJustin Dorfman (Developer Relations, MaxCDN) commented  · 

Hi Jon and Nicolas. Thanks for your recommendation and comment.

We understand the requirement for this kind of a feature, but there is a big difference in how mod_pagespeed functions and how we do. mod_pagespeed is installed on your hosting server so it does the url rewrite and any optimization it can do because it has full control over your content.

We, on the other hand, are accepting requests for your content and delivering it. Since we can't predict all the CSS files on your end nor have the idea of how your parallel download is operating (if any), we can't perform any optimization of this kind.

So far, our clients have relied on minification solutions that run on their hosting platforms. Then we, as a CDN, cache those minified packages and deliver them. Otherwise we can't access your files libraries and thus can't perform this kind of function on them.

• Nicolás MercadoNicolás Mercado commented  · 

This would be great. Before signing up for MaxCDN we used to rely heavily on mod_pagespeed. Our pagespeed and Yslow score were really high (PS: 93%, Yslow: 85%).
        Now we are serving assets from a CDN, but we lost a lot as regards minification, image, js and css inlining. So basically, using MaxCDN is not really being that beneficial for us, even being a paid service...
        The idea you propose is great, specially regarding custom filters. It took as a lot to fine tune mod_pagespeed to get the best possible load time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base